Thursday, October 29, 2009

Carry-Out

I really like good food, and I have come to realize that, for me, it is often a reward after a difficult day...or week..or month. I am working with a dietician and I am currently confounding her with yoyo swings of gain and loss. She refers to me as her "wild card." Today I I facetiously brought up the idea of "mindful eating" with the idea that one watches what one eats and then lets those thoughts go with return to the breath. In other words, I am watching myself eat peanut M and M's and the observation is neutral as long as I continue to breathe. She embraced the concept and actually gave it substance with further exploration. This is why I continue to see her--she puts positive spin on my sarcastic output.

But back to the reward aspect of this. I have had a hellish week in many respects, doing what I least like to do--making people unhappy (even if I am absolutely correct in my methods and conclusions). My husband was out playing cards tonight and I was on my own for dinner, so I went to a restaurant I love, that he is lukewarm about. I usually get carry-out there and I don't always tip, though I was feeling a bit guilty about that. I decided I would tip tonight, just because I like the owner as well as the food.

I was glad to see that it was so busy that I had to sit on a chair in the hall, rather than at a table,while I waited for my chicken shwarma. Teresa, the owner, brought it out to me there. When I reminded her that I still needed to pay, she told me that she was buying me dinner for being a loyal customer for the past six years. I was stunned. She has nothing to gain from this gesture because I am already a loyal customer and business is clearly booming. This was reward for the business I had already provided, rather that anything I might provide in the future. The opposite of lobbying, and completely unexpected. What a lovely gesture and one that put the rest of my week in perspective.

And the chicken shwarma? Delicious, as always. Thank you Teresa!

No comments: