Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cheese of the Goat


They say the best classroom is life itself, and I have to agree. For example, we have all learned a lot about economics in the past few years, especially the economics of oil. We used to think that prices were set at the pump, and having gas stations on four corners of an intersection was bad because it drove gas prices to unreasonably low levels. We now know that gas prices respond to major economic factors such as a hurricane, a leak in an oil refinery tank, or Labor Day weekend.

So you can imagine how alarmed I was to read that, in the past week alone, over 100 goats were stolen from area farms. The response has been a big snicker--from lardhappus: "That'll make a lot of gyros" and abcd: "I'll bet that really got his goat." They are missing the point. We are about the see an unprecedented rise is the price of goat cheese. Based on what I have seen in the oil arena, I would say that it will happen immediately, never mind that not all of these goats were producing milk yet. They represent goat milk futures--so cheese prices will rise today, tomorrow, next weekend.

Being the prudent consumer that I am, I stocked up on goat cheese as soon as I heard the news. But being a consumer, I am sorry to report that the goat cheese has itself been consumed. It was delicious. I am now left at the mercy of rising goat cheese prices just like the rest of you---but don't say you weren't warned.

No comments: