Friday, February 20, 2009

Cabin











A couple of weeks ago I spent a long weekend (3 nights, two full days) in a lovely log cabin in Northern Wisconsin. In addition to being relaxing, it was an interesting experience for a couple of reasons.

The first thing was attending the dog sled races. They were held in Land O' Lakes (which is fine for the name of a butter but as I type it, I realize, very awkward for the name of a town). This was a very local event but should attract more tourists than it does. The mushers came from as far away as Canada (not too far) and Alaska (very far) and the teams were made up of anything from the traditional huskies to hounds. The mushers were as young as three in 50-yard mutt dash and a whole lot older for the longer races. I took several pictures of empty space on the racetrack--these guys moved faster than my shutter speed--but I did better at the finish when everyone was tired. There were dogs for sale, but I didn't even look--I will never in my life need as much exercise as those dogs require.

The inventory of what three women bring for amusement to a cabin in the woods is also worth noting: 44 CDs, 8 magazines, 3 newspapers, 6 games plus a deck of cards, 13 books, 2 extra books borrowed from the lodge, and three knitting projects (the latter all mine). That is indoor amusement--there were also three pairs of snowshoes and, in a different category, about 40 pounds of food. I would argue that our supplies for three days would have been identical to what we would need for three weeks. The main difference is that we might have played more of the games and CDs if we had had more time. I might have also read a book or learned Norwegian--I am not being facetious--the "Learn Norwegian in Three Months" program was tallied on both the CD and book counts.

I think this is practice for eventual retirement--we assembled all of the ingredients for a life without work, but we just ran out of time.

1 comment:

Matchbox said...

If you ask nicely I will show you how to cut and fold that lovely Land O' Lakes Indian Maiden on the box of the butter container into a topless version. Something every Wisconsin boy learns before the age of ten.
Actually, that expalains a lot.

The Husband