Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Consumer Credit

Two "C" words--how could I resist? Although this is a serious problem for many, and never more so than when the economic bubble bursts, leaving soap on all of our faces. Credit is how we give up our free will and indenture ourselves to the companies that provide convenience at a terrible cost. Credit comes in many forms--there are the loans that make big dollar purchases like cars and houses possible. There are the unexpected catastrophes like your house being ripped in half by torrential rains with no flood insurance, or a medical emergency with inadequate coverage. And then there are the small luxuries that add up and up and up.

After a recent conversation regarding the family credit card bill (I would like to pretend it was a conversation I was having with myself, but that would be a lie) I decided I would pay more attention to what went on the credit card. I left the house for a round of errands with the following items on my list: 2 yards of silk ribbon for baby booties, a present and card for a couple having a joint surprise birthday party, the book for my book group, a half gallon of milk, and a loaf of bread. Here is how it actually went:

First stop for silk ribbon--I bought one yard instead of two. (Disclosure: there was only one color available that I liked).

Second stop: kitchen supply store where I did not buy anything, but arranged to bring all my knives in for sharpening next Saturday.

Third stop; Penzey's Spices for the birthday present and a jar of "Barbeque of the Americas" (jar was empty in Arcadia--must be good).

Fourth stop: Borders for multiple birthday cards (we all know what the price of gas is these days--better stock up), my book club book and a book for my Aunt who is celebrating a major milestone birthday. I resisted the current issue of "Selvedge." but made note of the next issue which is all about Indian fabrics--a must have and due out any day.

Fifth stop: Whole Foods, always a knee-weakening experience at check out. Here I bought artichoke spinach dip because I like it and my party guests last weekend snarfed it all before I got any, two loaves of bread (couldn't decide) some Roman tuna salad ( I was feeling really hungry by then) and the very necessary gallon of milk. I did not get a pound of the grilled chicken Cobb salad. (Disclosure: they were out of it, even after I made the deli guy check in back.)

So, this is how it happens on a small scale, in my house, every weekend. It all adds up. How can I fault the consumers out there who were lured by the granite kitchen counters as opposed to the formica, the in-ground pool and 2 acres instead of the urban apartment rental? Well I can't really--I know it feels, I know what they are thinking. I know how easy it is to talk yourself into whatever it is you desire. But there is one important difference--what I want is not outside my purchasing power. These tugs of war are between savings and earnings, not earnings and debt.

It is easy to take the moral high ground when you have means, and I am not saying anything new if I point out that our culture is skewed towards the material, but I would like to say that these internal battles can be fought on a more modest scale than where they are fought by many. We need to keep joy in our lives, which is difficult when there is also debt, but joy can be cheap if we can free ourselves of cultural expectations.

.

No comments: