Sunday, April 27, 2008

Cougar

This was the email that was broadcast to the entire company this past Friday afternoon:

"The Town of Madison police just informed me that there was a confirmed sighting of a Cougar in the early morning hours today (1:30 to 2:00 a.m.) The sighting was South of the Coyier Building near the pond on the Old Holtzman Property. I recommend that you not walk the walking path for a few days. Hopefully, it has moved on. When walking on the path, I recommend that you do not walk alone. We will follow up with the Town of Madison police next week for future updates."

I was a little disappointed at the lack of buzz generated by this message--after all, it is not the usual Friday afternoon email. Besides, I had some follow up questions. First of all, who was lurking near the pond on the Old Holtzman Property at two in the morning? How reliable can a person be who is engaged in that kind of lurking behavior? Second, what constitutes "confirmed?" If there is photographic evidence, it should have been attached to the email. That way, with curiosity satisfied, no one will be tempted to walk the walking path to get a glimpse. And, on the subject of the walking path, when choosing a companion, what is the best approach? Someone large and burly who could intimidate the second largest cat in the Americas? Or someone small who could be thrown to the feline in case of an emergency? I have a small friend but she already won't walk the path because of snakes. It is highly unlikely I could talk her into it when there is a cougar stalking and ambushing in the area. (Never mind the obvious question of what kind of friend I am to even contemplete such an idea.)

I plan to stay off the walking path, but I read up on cougars so I would know what to do if I met the critter in the parking lot. Playing dead is a bad idea, and so is running, although outrunning a cougar is not something I ever realistically had in my survival toolbox. I think it comes down to looking menacing and waving a weapon, and I think I could do that--at least if the cougar can't tell the difference between menace and complete panic, and if I could use my car keys in some lethal manner.

It turns out that cougars (or Animalia, Chordata, Mammalia, Carnivora, Felidae, Puma Concolor)don't normally live this far east, so it is exciting to have one move into the area. I really do hope I get a chance to see it--as long as it can be done from a glassed in conference room overlooking the pond on the Old Holtzman Property during normal business hours.

No comments: